- The website
- Google Analytics
- Legal Basis - Legitimate Interest
- Information collection and use
- Return forms
This policy sets out the different areas where user privacy is concerned and outlines the obligations and requirements of the users, the website and website owners. Furthermore, the way this website processes, stores and protects user data and information will also be detailed within this policy. The Downcliffe House Hotel aspires to be a fair, transparent and ethical business both towards its employees and towards it customers.
This website and its owners take a proactive approach to user privacy and ensure the necessary steps are taken to protect the privacy of its users throughout their visiting experience. We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors; this policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
We use Google Analytics to collect anonymised data about visitors to this site. We use this data to improve visitor experience, and to help us make the site better and attract more visitors. Google Analytics records:
- The website the visitor came from to get to this site.
- The kind of computer they are using (Windows, Mac, etc. as well as information like screen resolution, web browser etc.)
- The visitors general location (e.g.: London, United Kingdom)
- Where the visitor clicked on the site and how long they stayed for.
In using Google Analytics, we are bound by Google Analytics Terms of Service.
Cookies are small files saved to the user's computer's hard drive that track, save and store information about the user's interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website.
Our promotional emails help us to keep our customers up to date with news, changes in our services and promotional offers. The Downcliffe House Hotel is a well established business that takes its reputation very seriously. The Business is respected and wishes to embrace the ethos of GDPR, further establishing its credibility with compliance and transparency.
The Business does need to be progressive and email marketing is seen as a cost effective form of profile raising. On balance our judgement is that the Business takes its data responsibilities very seriously and markets its services sensitively to an audience that has shown to be of Legitimate Interest. The business's website uses an approach which records data in a compliant manner and only if consent is provided. Data subjects have good access to their subscription data - making the removal of their data from a marketing list very straightforward. All data subjects will be asked periodically to unsubscribe if they feel that the The Downcliffe House Hotel promotional emails notifications are no longer appropriate.
The Downcliffe House Hotel process personal information for certain business purposes, which include some or all of the following:
- Where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services / communications for the benefit of our customers
- To identify and prevent fraud
- To enhance the security of our network and information systems
- To better understand how people interact with our website
- To provide electronic communications, which we think will be of interest to you via email marketing
- To evaluate the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising
Whenever we process data for any of these purposes, we will always make sure that we keep your Personal Data rights in high regard and take account of these rights. You can unsubscribe from receiving marketing emails from us by clicking the "subscriptions" link at the bottom of any email, alternatively you can visit our subscriptions page, where you are able to unsubscribe from our promotional emails.
A user who makes contact with the business via its contact return forms are notified that the website will capture their data on a 'Legitimate Interest' basis, however should they prefer that the details are removed from the website database, then they can tick a box and their data will automatically be deleted. By the nature of a sign up to receive promotional emails, the user is fully expecting that the Business will periodically make contact with them in order to promote the business, raise awareness of events or offers and provide general business updates - even so the Business adopts a double opt in approach to its sign up process.
For further information relating to our use of Legitimate Interest as our basis for processing data, please see our GDPR Assessment.
Whilst using our website, software applications or services, you may be required to provide personal information (name, email and phone number). We will use this information to administer our services, website, applications, client databases and marketing material. We will ensure that all personal information supplied is held securely in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Further, by providing telephone, email details, or your address, you consent to The Downcliffe House Hotel contacting you using that method.
You have the right at any time to request a copy of the personal information we hold on you. Should you wish to receive a copy of this, or would like to be removed from our database, please contact us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Downcliffe House Hotel collects information in two possible ways:
- When you directly give it to us ("Directly Provided Data") - When you sign up for our site, purchase our products or communicate with us, you may choose to voluntarily give us certain information – for example, by filling in text boxes or completing registration forms. All this information requires a direct action by you at that time in order for us to receive it.
- When you give us permission to obtain from other accounts ("User Authorised Data") depending on your settings or the privacy policies for other online services, you may give us permission to obtain information from your account with those other services. For example, this can be via social media or by choosing to send us your location data when accessing our website from your smartphone.
The Downcliffe House Hotel will not retain your personal information longer than necessary. We will hold onto the information you provide as long as needed to be able to provide our services to you, as long as is necessary to provide service or until you expressly ask us to remove your information (subject to certain conditions) - If legally required or if it is reasonably necessary to meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our Terms and Conditions, we may also retain some of your information for a limited period of time as required, even after you have asked us to delete your information or it is no longer needed to provide the Services to you. Please note that it is our policy to contact our data subjects every 6 months to make sure that they are happy to continue to receive email communications from The Downcliffe House Hotel.
The Downcliffe House Hotel will not sell or rent your personally identifiable information, gathered as a result of filling out the site return forms, to anyone. We understand that you trust us with your personal information and we are committed to ensuring you can manage the privacy and security of your personal information yourself. With respect to the information relating to you that ends up in our possession, and recognising that it is your choice to provide us with your personally identifiable information, we commit to giving you the ability to do all of the following:
- You can verify the details you have submitted to The Downcliffe House Hotel by visiting our subscriptions page here. If you enter your email address, you will be sent a link to your personal data, which you can check or correct, you will also be able to remove your personal information from any lists controlled by The Downcliffe House Hotel.
- You can also contact us by the same method to change, correct, or delete your personal information controlled by The Downcliffe House Hotel regarding your profile at anytime.
- You can unsubscribe from receiving marketing emails from us by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email. Once again this will take you through to our subscriptions page, where you are able to unsubscribe from all or any list that The Downcliffe House Hotel controls. If you unsubscribe from all lists, you will no longer receive any emails from us.
You can request a readable copy of the personal data we hold on you at any time; to do this, please contact us mailto:email@example.com. We are constantly reviewing how we process and protect data; therefore, changes to our policy may occur at any time, but we will endeavour to publicise any changes. If you have any questions or concerns about anything in this policy, do not hesitate to contact us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.